Recipe SFINCIONE :
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons to 1 cup + 2 tablespoons lukewarm water*
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 28-ounce can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 3 or 4 anchovies, chopped, optional
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 + 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs, like Panko or seasoned Italian
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano, divided
1. Combine all of the crust ingredients and mix and knead to make a smooth, soft dough, using a stand mixer, bread machine, or your hands.
2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow it to rise until puffy about 90 minutes.
3. While the dough rises get your toppings ready. Fry the onions in a large skillet over medium heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil, sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Stir every five minutes until browned, about 25-30 minutes.
4. Add in the tomatoes, anchovies and a teaspoon of oregano, simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
5. Stir together the bread crumbs, oil and oregano, set aside.
6. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet (a 13″ x 18″ half sheet pan) with non-stick spray. Drizzle it with olive oil, tilting the pan so the oil spreads out a bit.
7. Gently deflate the risen dough, and stretch it into an oval in your hands. Put it on the baking sheet and gently knead and stretch it out to fit the pan. If you have a hard time stretching it leave it alone for five minutes and try again.
8. Cover the dough, and let it rise again for about 90 minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Uncover the dough and sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over top, then spread the tomato/onion sauce over top, sprinkle with Parmesan, then the bread crumbs.
10. Bake the pizza for 35 minutes, or until the crust and crumbs are brown. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes before slicing. To keep the crust crispy cut pizza in half or in quarters and place on a wire cooling rack. Slices can be cut with kitchen shears. Serve hot or cold.